Friday, November 4, 2011

Living for that Moment

Clubbing with green strobe lights

My hair is fashionably tousled, my jeans a perfect fit. I've put on some cologne which I know would evaporate as soon as I walk into the club.  I wait for my friends, and once together, talk about how wasted we want to become, how utterly out of our minds we should be before the end of the evening.

A couple of shots before going in.  For courage. And because the alcohol they sell is too damn expensive.

I enter through double doors into a dark, cramped room throbbing with loud, unrecognizable music, and a barrage of people jumping to the beat. The room is warm, and I feel a bead of sweat slowly trace itself down the side of my neck.  I smile briefly before the crowd, until the many-headed creature swallows me whole and transforms me into another one of its many heads bopping to the rhythm of one song.

Sometimes it comes naturally, the ability to dance.  Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I stand in the middle of the room, a drink in my hand, while I am pushed around by strangers. I hesitantly mimic the tap-tap-tapping of the group beside me. Or the stiff, but captivating swaying of the confident young man on stage.  Sometimes I completely let go, and dance like a wild animal, eyes closed, my mind imagining the room as empty except for me and the beat.

Then there is that magical moment, when, drunk and exhausted, I stare at the ceiling and feel (not think!) that all is right with the world. And the feeling expands and rises and mingles like smoke with the music and the people through the wild, unplanned dance the crowd is participating in.

And I wish that the moment would last forever, and that everything will always be right in the world.  Except morning would inevitably come, and always, always we would need to go home. 

14 comments:

  1. I remember dancing like that at clubs! At 67, I don't hit the clubs anymore, but I do remember the exuberance of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, it was so visual that I was right there in a club myself.

    Bx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hindi ka naman sumasayaw eh. Tara! Gimik na... Hehehehe...

    -Pet-pet

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know that feeling... yet, mine happens occasionally in a school setting - normally, pretty quiet, there are times when i just let loose and don't care what anyway thinks.. i feel free...

    visual post, using words... awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I love going to raves. You're a lovely writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much for clubbing. and it almost reminds me that I'm letting my youth slip away from me, because I'm much too cautious, so today I shall live through you instead. Living in the moment is the best thing you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. like philosophia, i'm not into clubbing too. I'm still hoping I would be able to visit one someday

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss those all night long dances.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Party party! Long time since I've been on a club.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great post. Like the way you write...

    http://rajnishonline.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. The moment of temporary happiness that you would dance like its the last night of your life no one would judge, no one cares.. Experienced this moment also...

    http://kennethics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya, I've mentioned this post over at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I often wonder why people go to clubs, maybe they do get that feeling. Hell if they do maybe I should start going.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...