Monday, September 5, 2011

You Should Date a Writer

a writer would write books about you
Image taken here.

(This is a response to this particularly brilliant piece of writing found here, entitled Never Date a Writer).

You should date a writer. You should date a writer because he will fictionalize everything. He will write about things you have done to him, or things you have never done to him. He will write about the time you held his hand, in the rain, and shared an umbrella. Or said nothing when he cried copiously in a movie theater. He will write, in pure passionate prose, about how, during the time you were together, you came across a stray cat on the street and you cried and you took it home and gave it to him and he fell in love with you for the first time.

You should date a writer. You should date a writer because he will fictionalize everything. He will write about the time you fought, and made up, and made love, and fought again. He will scour the details of your lives, and make from them poetry.  And his words will sing in your head like birds in spring.

You should date a writer.  You should date a writer because he will fictionalize everything.  He will write about things that have happened, or that have not happened.  He will write about the time you broke up, and he broke your heart.  Or the time that he asked you to stay, and you left.  He will write, words bleeding on a page, about love and life and lessons learned.

And you will learn about the time he waited outside your door for hours, not knowing if you were coming home or not. Or about the time he baked you a cake, lopsided and burnt, and threw it away because he did not want to give you a stupid ugly cake on your birthday. Or about the time he woke up at 5am in the morning to get you fresh flowers in the market, because he couldn’t afford the ones they sold at the mall and he knew how much you liked them.

Or about the time when he was sick, and you were there, making sure he was safe and warm. How you skipped work that day, and puttered around his apartment, making more noise than was probably necessary.  And how you kissed him on the forehead when you thought he was asleep, and whispered a promise he dared not believe.

You will learn about the time he stood by your door, and told you he loved you, and how that was the happiest and scariest day of his life.  How nervous and fearful he felt, not knowing if you loved him back.

You should date a writer.  You should date a writer because he will fictionalize everything.  He will immortalize in words, the life you shared, or the time you both laid in bed, and whispered affectionate promises of forever.

30 comments:

  1. i should definitely date a writer. ayeee! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes.. I should definitely date one. haha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am in love with a writer. hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. I'm on the other side of the spectrum. I am the writer and I'm suggesting you people shouldn't don't date my kind. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and am a self-proclaimed writer (an indecent one! lol) you should date me... hahahaha!

    nice piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, i looove this. maybe ill be married to a writer one day.......
    who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i would like to date a poet :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. You are so talented. I love it when you write like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've really enjoyed reading your blog! Your writing style is fresh, honest and the topic matter is always thought-provoking. Keep up the good work.

    xoxo,
    your law school BFF

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really a wonderful post! Sweet words!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your idea and topics, this is definitely a great post. I wish I can be a writer but I can't coz I'm not passionate enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice! i read the other version and it was moving too...very good reads :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was completely blown away.
    Keep writing! Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. one must date the writer no matter what :) but it's risky, i mention about my past experiences all the time :) at least we remember the ones we loved once!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm totally gonna date you.hahahaha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have always dreamed to be with one. but I don't know why God never gave 'him' to me. I mean a writer for a boyfriend. I always love to read letters. I'll blog about this. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  18. I aspire to be a writer. I want to date a writer. What would happen? FICTION EVERYWHERE.

    Thanks for commenting my first tentative review post! I haven't seen Ghost in the Shell the series so I can't say anything about the quality of that, but I recommend watching the film because anime + cyberpunk = win.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is beautiful, and so completely true.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am a writer (just a frustrated one- hahaha) but my company gives you no frustrations at all. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post. I hope I'm even half as good to my husband as this suggests I should be :) God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am dating a writer... he just prefers to draw =P

    ReplyDelete
  23. The problem with dating a writer
    is that he can imagine way ahead of what's happening..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very good read. :)

    Will repost in my blog. Hope that's okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. very very wonderful post! can i share this on my blog please? i'll surely put your name after it!please respond on my blog if it's okay.. thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. My husband married a writer. Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  27. hi! i just shared this post on my blog. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...